Positions are usually available in both exploration and production. Positions may include: shop tech, sales, clerical, mechanical, welder, roustabout, truck drive, electronic tech, operator assistant, seismic, crane operator, concrete finisher, and mud logger.
The industry is cyclical by nature and depends a lot on current political activities, price per barrel, supply & demand, etc. There will be times when the industry is experiencing layoffs and or hiring freezes.
When searching for oil field employment try to create a plan. Most companies are busy and it can be hard at times to walk in off the street and expect an interview. Make contacts and set-up interview appointments before visiting the region.
- Most positions are labor intensive and involve outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Minimum age restrictions may be 18 or 21 years old.
- Drug testing is required in the hiring process and performed randomly on the job.
- Most positions require a valid driver's license with a clean driving record.
- Some companies may require a background check upon application.
- Some require a commercial driver's license (CDL), or the ability to acquire one.
- Company work schedules may vary, e.g. 4 days on/4 days off; 7 days on/7 days off; 2 weeks on/1 week off with pay. Significant overtime hours may be available. It is important to check with the company regarding work schedules.
- In limited circumstances, housing may be provided. Some companies provide a daily per diem for meals.